To download, please see the download page.
My inspirations for this game are multifold. The idea first came to me as I recalled a documentary I watched many years ago about climbing Mt. Everest (see the NOVA article about it here). As climbers ascended, they were presented with challenging mental tasks; one of these was the Stroop test (see Wikipedia).
My second inspiration came from a much more recent source: my tablet. 🙂 It came from me playing the game 4 Player Reactor by cool cherry trees. In this game, I was presented with the very same Stroop test. I thought it was very fun, so I set out to make my own version of it.
The game I’ve developed now is called Color Match and it can be described simply as: Stroop test gone wild.
The premise of the game is extremely simple: You are presented with a word that is printed in a certain color. When the name of the color matches the actual font’s color, you click. Get enough right and you win! Get too many wrong before the time runs out and you lose!
In this first version, you’ll have the following options:
1. There are 11 languages: English, French, German, Italian, Korean, Mandarin (Traditional), Mandarin (Simplified), Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Vietnamese. Each language has 11 colors (but the exact numbers of entries vary because some languages have synonyms for certain colors). (As with all previous games I’ve made, all pronunciation/transliteration guides are available as you hover the mouse over the appropriate languages.)
2. Time can be set to how long (in minutes) the game lasts (minimum is 1, maximum is 60).
3. Time can be set to how long (in seconds) it takes for each new word to appear (minimum is 1, maximum is 60).
4. Points can be set to how many it takes to win (minimum is 1, maximum is 100).
5. There are 10 levels of difficulty: 1 is the easiest (with the correct word/color combination appearing more often) and 10 is the hardest (with the correct word/color combination appearing less often).
6. Number of cards can range from 3 to 15 (in sets of 3). The only reason I’ve made these the constraints was because of screen space.
7. The game counts how many clicks you make and how many buttons go by that were correct. At the end of the game, you’ll see how many you got right compared to how many were possible.
Due to a some sort of bug in Java, there is (once again) some differences between the OS X and Windows versions. The OS X version (.dmg) I run seems to be exactly how I intended it at the moment, the other two file types (.exe and .jar) seem to be suffering from some sort of color distortion (but only when a word is being set for a button that was previously blank). When that is the case, you’ll notice that the word will first be gray, then (in less than a second) changes to the intended color. I am not sure why this happens, because it’s not the code’s fault. Please tolerate this inconvenience and play the OS X version if you can.
To download, please see the download page. I hope you enjoy it!